Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Overcoming Fear




When I was a little girl I was afraid of the dark. In my preteen years I feared being rejected and bullied by other kids in school. In high school my chorus teacher asked me to sing a solo and because I was afraid, I turned down the solo. 

At the age of 20, I remember sitting with my dad at the kitchen table right before I got married. With tears in eyes I told my father, "I'm so scared dad, what if we don't have enough money to pay our bills? Two years later my husband and I were presented with an unexpected surprise. I was sitting on my couch waiting for my husband to come home from work. He walked in and said, "I got fired today." My response to him was, "I'm pregnant." Immediately fear set in on both of us. 

Now, at the age of 35, I am no longer afraid of the dark, I am confident in who I am, I can stand in front of hundreds of people and lead worship, I've been married for 14 years, and I have 3 handsome boys. 

My fathers words resonated in my ear every time I was about to give in to fear. "Daddy's here you don't need to be afraid, I will stay right next to you until you fall asleep my princess."Then he would pray and recites God's Word.


"God's angel set up a circle of protection around us while we pray." 
Psalms 34:7

Just like my father was at my bedside when I was scared of the dark, so was my heavenly father in those darkest moments. Just knowing that My Heavenly Father loves me and is watching over me, takes away all my fears.


"There is no fear in love, but perfect Love cast out fear..." 1 John 4:18

There are times when the spirit of fear tries to set in to my kids minds, especially at night. I pray with them  and as my dad did with me, I recite God's Word. 

"This is my command to you- be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God  is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

How do we overcome fear? By clinging on to the promises of  God. His promises remain forever and ever!

Here are today's prayers for overcoming fear. Don't forget to repeat them to your kids so that when the enemy tries to instill fear in their hearts, your voice will resonate in their ear with God's word.


May (your child's name) know that You are his light and salvation- that You are the stronghold of his life; whom shall he fear? (Psalms 27:1)

May _________ fear not, stand firm, and see Your salvation, which You will work for him today. (Exodus 14:13)

May ________not be afraid or dismayed; may he be strong and courageous. (Joshua 10:25)

May ____________ not be afraid of those who are against him, for You declare You are with him to deliver him. (Jeremiah 1:8)

May ____________ be strong and courageous and not fear or be in dread, for it's you, Lord, our God  who goes with him. You will not leave him or forsake him. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

May _________ remember that "There is no fear in love, but perfect Love cast out fear..."
(1 John 4:18)


A Word of encouragement for Mom:
Don't let the fear of failure keep you from being the mom that God has called you to be.

Sarah
Mom After God





No comments:

Post a Comment